• EssaysOnline

Things To Do Before Crossing The Border

Whether you’re heading in or out of South Africa, being prepared for crossing a border will make your journey stress-free.

Travelling is about the journey, not just the destination. But all of that can come to a standstill if you’ve missed an important bit of paperwork such as a border letter. Border officials will ask that you provide them with a vehicle registration certificate or a certified copy of this document (if your vehicle isn’t financed). However, financed vehicles will need a border letter from the bank that will serve as permission for the vehicle to cross the border.

Here’s what you need to know to get across the border:

  1. A valid driver’s license and passport – You need to have a valid driver’s license and passport. Check that your passport doesn’t expire before you travel.

  2. Contact your insurance company – When planning to cross the border, contact your insurance companies to ensure their comprehensive insurance policy includes cross-border travel. If not, you can purchase international insurance at the border post gate.

  3. Car registration documents – You’ll be required to have a certified copy of your car registration or car license. If your car is financed you’ll also need a letter from the bank giving you authorisation to take the vehicle across the border, with the dates of your trip indicated. A Commissioner of Oaths should sign both your bank letter and licence papers. If you are not the registered owner of the vehicle, you’ll need an affidavit from the police giving you authorisation from the financial institution/ owner to take the car out of South Africa.

  4. Rental vehicles – If you’re driving a rented car, you must have a letter from the rental company giving full consent to take the vehicle out of the country.

  5. Stickers, triangles and safety gear – It is compulsory for any South African vehicle, caravan or trailer to have a ZA sign displayed when it crosses any of the borders. Some countries require you to place the blue and yellow warning triangle or the T-sign on your caravan or the trailer towing your boat. Other neighbouring countries require you to have a set of red warning triangles in your possession as well as reflective jackets. Double-check what stickers, triangles or safety gear you need before you depart.

Source: WesBank. Images. Pixabay

#roadtrip #carfinance #carinsurance #travel #bordercrossing

0 views0 comments